Social Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Require frequent repetition
- Have difficulty following conversations involving more than 2 people
- Think that other people sound muffled or like they're mumbling
- Have difficulty hearing in noisy situations, like conferences, restaurants, malls, or crowded meeting rooms
- Have trouble hearing children and women
- Have your TV or radio turned up to a high volume
- Answer or respond inappropriately in conversations
- Have ringing in your ears
- Read lips or more intently watch people's faces when they speak with you
Emotional Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Feel stressed out from straining to hear what others are saying
- Feel annoyed at other people because you can't hear or understand them
- Feel embarrassed to meet new people or from misunderstanding what others are saying
- Feel nervous about trying to hear and understand
- Withdraw from social situations that you once enjoyed because of difficulty hearing
Medical Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Have a family history of hearing loss
- Take medications that can harm the hearing system (ototoxic drugs)
- Have diabetes, heart, circulation or thyroid problems
- Have been exposed to very loud sounds over a long period or single exposure to explosive noise
The following are symptoms of hearing loss. If you agree with three or more of these statements, please call Hearcare at 585-598-2925 or Contact Us to begin the journey towards better hearing.
- I turn up the volume on the TV to hear what is being said.
- I often ask people to repeat what they have said.
- I strain to understand a conversation when there is background noise or other people are talking at the same time.
- I have a hard time hearing over the phone.
- I often misunderstand what is being said.
- I have trouble hearing women and children, in particular.
- I frequently feel stressed or tired after having to talk or listen for extended periods.
- I have difficulty hearing and understanding what other people say when I do not have eye contact.
- I often find it hard to locate the source of a sound.
- My family or friends have asked me if I have a hearing problem.